When I started speaking at technical events and conferences in 2015 Joind.in was critical in my growing as a presenter and speaker. I’m proud of the speaker I am today in part by how Joind.in facilitated the feedback that enabled me to learn and grow.
Lorna (a long time maintainer/contributor) announced that the team will be discontinuing the hosted platform due to the lack of contributors and time to maintain the project. Reference: Discontinue hosted project · Issue #739 · joindin/joindin-web2 · GitHub I (and several others) have been having conversations about what we can do to help ensure the hosted project not only continues but thrives as an open source project and community.
I have started a discord channel to discuss what I’m calling “Project Next Steps” with a goal of delivering a proposal to the current joind.in team for a plan to move forward and on board a new team of eager contributors and maintainers. The team will have a structure, and may even form its own legal entity. We’re focused big picture at the moment so if you’re wondering about details we are a little sparse there at the moment.
How can you help?
- Join us in Discord: Discord
- Read the Pinned Messages
- Review our Proposal
- Discuss how you want to be involved
- Sign our proposal
FAQ & Comments
- Why are you doing this?
- Joind.in gave us 10 years, I want to ensure the next 10 years of service.
- I want to continue to push for mentoring and on boarding new contributors AND maintainers
- “You should use ‘random technology’”
- We’re not ready for these discussions yet however if you’d like to help join discord!
- My company can do “_____________________”
- I will be making a note and coming to talk to you once our proposal is accepted!
You can find the current draft of our proposal here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FIGRqwWDGOvKnKo8HDan90SuC13mMXz2tKf1U61DEFU