Communities and Silos Revisited

“You can be a part of multiple communities…” This is a hot topic for me, and I’m glad to hear Matt’s opinion. I agree with everything Matt says. If you’ve not heard it yet go listen to this before continuing this post:...

PHP User Group Sticker Exchange 2016

The Idea I started a thread on the PHP UG Admins email list of doing a User Group sticker exchange and the idea took off pretty quickly. The idea is that user groups that want to participate send stickers to a central location. Stickers are then broken up into packets...

User Group Advice

When I introduce myself before I give a talk at a conference or a user group I mention I am a user group leader and very passionate about community. I happily receive questions from people starting new user groups or reviving old groups. I wanted to share a recent...
ZendCon 2015 Thoughts

ZendCon 2015 Thoughts

ZendCon 2015 was my first ZendCon experience. I was selected to give two talks, “Laravel Forge: Hello World to Hello Production” and “DevOps for Small Teams”. This was my first time giving the updated talk about Forge which also includes a...

Laracon 2015 Thoughts

In February 2015 when I found out Laracon US was going to be in Louisville, Kentucky I dropped everything I was doing and bought tickets. Even if I wasn’t selected to talk I was going to attend a PHP Conference that was easy driving difference from Memphis....